family law

Change of Names

Generally, you can change your legal name if you meet the minimum age requirements and choose an acceptable name in accordance with the law.

Choosing a new name: restrictions on renaming

If you get divorced, state law makes it easy to change your last name so that you can go back to your birth name. If you want to make a name change for reasons other than family reasons, it is generally allowed to do so if the new name meets the following conditions

  • You do not have a fraudulent intention. You cannot change your name with the intention of hiding something or to gain an advantage.
  • Do not be done to confuse others. It is impermissible to take the name of a famous person to confuse the public about their true identity . However, if a marriage or divorce would give you the same name as a celebrity, your name change will be allowed because its purpose is related to your marital situation and not to confuse others.
  • Do not be a racial slur or aggressive word. Your name should not incite others to violence or insult or anger.
  • Contains letters. In general, names that contain numeric characters instead of letters have been rejected by the courts.

Where to change your name?

If you want to make a name change and meet the above requirements, it is a relatively easy process. If you are changing your name for a reason other than marriage or divorce, or if you are dealing with a minor or transgenic person, you may need a court order that will likely be granted if the name does not fit any of the noted restrictions.

To make a name change because of a marriage or divorce, then you can simply provide a certified copy of your marriage certificate. marriage or divorce decree issued by the government to other institutions that require notification of your name change.

Some of those institutions are:

  • Social Security Administration.
  • Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • Post office.
  • Your employer.
  • Your school.
  • Banks.
  • Creditors.
  • Other public services.
  • Insurance companies.
  • Passport office.
  • Voter registration.

Making a name change is a big decision and often an important event in your life. However, the legal treatment of your name change is not difficult, as long as you notify all parties that require notification, as described above.

    CALL 1-866-66-VAMOS and request your FIRST FREE APPOINTMENT.